Monday, November 12, 2012

Is Everyone an Artist?


Number One: The All One, 24 x 24 inches
Acrylic on Wood. ©2008 Mary Rush Gravelle.

My Stance

No. In the past I have used the term, Artist, in a generous way. No more. Not everyone is an Artist. I believe that everyone is creative, but that does not make him or her an Artist. It makes them whatever they are that they use their creativity for.


Why I Believe the Way I Do

This new thinking comes about from a recording I listened to this past week, Blue Stocking Salon, with Ariane Goodwin and Lori Wolfson. Ariane discussed a new book that she had been reading. In it, the author wrote that everyone is an Artist:  Cooks, Lawyers, Hairdressers, Lovers, etc. Ariane argues that, no, not everyone is an Artist. And to say that, degrades the profession of being an Artist, with a capital A.


My Argument

After listening to this recording, I agree with Ariane. Not everyone is a lawyer or a plumber. Why does everyone have to be considered an Artist? That totally takes away the talent and the heart of the Artist. This goes along with a TV program that I have been watching on Netflix, Saving Grace. The main character is a Detective and Cop. She often refers to “the heart of a Cop” and whether people possess it or not.  I think the same is true with being an Artist. One has to possess the heart of an Artist, in order to be an Artist. The operative here is “to be”. The heart is the center of being.
Number 2: The Presence of The Other, 24 x 24 inches
Acrylic on Wood. ©2008 Mary Rush Gravelle. 


Action

Let’s give Artists the respect they deserve just like any other profession. Artists work hard, they educate themselves on their craft and their field, just like any other professional. They pour their heart and soul into their work. They take their work seriously. Especially in the U.S., the Artist has to work really hard to earn a living because they are pushing against a societal belief that denigrates their work as silliness and nonsense. It is not. 


What About You?

So, what do you think? Is everyone an Artist? Why or why not?



Contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment