Sunday, December 20, 2009

New Painting -- Spirit House

Spirit House, 24" x 24", mixed-media on wood

I just finished this painting a couple of weeks ago. It is a thrilling painting for me as it is very different than anything I have done to date.

A friend gave me the aspen leaves that inspired the whole thing. I added found objects that have been with me for years: stones, wood, metal, and feathers. The spirit house in the right top corner began as a double photocopy of a previous painting. The circular texture is made by pressing an empty masking tape roll into acrylic medium.

A "Goddess" tree gifted me with the spirit house floor and roof pieces of wood. Anyone out there in Silver City, New Mexico might know this tree. She sits behind the turquoise benches on Boston Hill.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment