Monday, February 29, 2016

Two In-Process Fluid Paintings

Trauma, Mixed-media on Wood.
16 x 20 x 1.5 inches.
Not sure if this is complete.
Copyright Mary Gravelle.
I'm still experimenting with watered down acrylic paints in what I think is my own version of fluid painting technique. From the Youtube videos I've watched so far, they aren't watering down their paints as much as what I am doing.

I don't know where this technique is taking me, but it's kind of fun. It has surprising results that sometimes I love and sometimes not so much. Here are the two I'm working on right now.

The painting above began as a cast aside piece. I had made a nature art piece that had fallen apart in transporting to and from my various storage units.

I find that usually when I paint over a piece, it gives me challenges. This piece is no different. We have had a tug of war between me wanting to listen to it and me wanting to exert my will over it. Can you relate?

In process painting, 24 x 36 inches.
Acrylic on canvas.
Copyright Mary Gravelle.
The second piece is painted on a blank canvas floor cloth. I had six of them in storage. Always looking for a surface to paint on, I grabbed one of these handy in a box in storage. This one is looking a little different than my previous pieces.

Have you experimented with watered down acrylic paints? Do you still use the technique?

Do you like the look of the process?


2 comments: