Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Painting in Process Experimental Technique with Light Molding Paste



Wow... my apologies... I did not realize I have not published a blog post since April 14. Lots going on since my mom's death on April 1st and my move to Sedona, Arizona on May 1st.

I have been working on my 2nd experimental painting during the interval. This time, I used artist's light molding paste to build texture on the canvas before painting.

The other benefit to this tecnique, is that it creates a porous surface absorbing washes of paint like watercolor. I used very watered down acrylic paint to allow the color to bleed. The result is a different look from my bold, bright, normal color pallette to a more subtle, muted color scheme.

With both texture and paint absorption, the paint moved around on the surface, providing surprising opportunities for following the painting's lead. I began to see shapes emerge. Honoring them, I coaxed them forward with brush and color.

This painting is not quite finished, but has evolved enough that a story is beginning to evolve.

I am still unpacking, organizing, and cleaning. The painting is now staring at me and waiting for me to get back to it.

Until next: buy art, appreciate art, create art.




No comments:

Post a Comment