Saturday, November 16, 2013

Plein Air Painting Sans RV Camper

A friend recently inspired me to paint outside. This is what is called en plein air, or in plain air.

My canvases are in storage. Instead of buying more, I recycled a white cardboard box. I cut out two of the best sections for painting. The rest of the box became my seat. I had taken my portable paint box from storage during my last trip.

I set up across the street from a beautiful sight in Cottonwood, Arizona, looking toward Sedona. The mountains span a wide horizon.

I painted most of the scene and was preparing to paint my favorite part, the sky. Just then, an RV camper pulled up dead center covering 80 percent of my view! Before I could open my mouth in protest, the dude scrambles into the back of the camper. So, the painting received an intuitive and imaginary sky and finish to the foreground.

The fall colors are stunning right now. The color pallet in this painting is new for me as I normally end up painting with pinks, reds, and purples.

Sans RV Camper, Cottonwood, Arizona, approx. 6 x 12 inches, Acrylic on Recycled Cardboard. $60.00. Contact me, mary@maryfineart.com.

Until next week... Buy art, appreciate art, make art.

Mary Rush Gravelle is an artist creating in Cottonwood, Arizona with her beloved cat, Sir Kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment