Monday, October 15, 2012

Making Art: Seeing, Doing, And Understanding


Barbara's Dancers (, Photograph, 4000 x 3000 pixels,
180 ppi. Enhanced in Photoshop.
©2012 Mary Rush Gravelle

Seeing

The more you observe your subject through your art making process, the more you will begin to know your subject. Have you heard this before: "To draw something is to know something?"

In art school, my drawing professors told us, their students, that drawing helps one to see better. I think we cannot limit that idea to drawing. I think that doing art in any media assists the artist with better sight.

The artist learns to see better any subject that lights their heart on fire. The more an artist creates artworks based upon a certain subject, the better the artist is seeing the subject on deeper levels.

Preparations,
Photograph, 4000 x 3000 pixels,
180 ppi. Enhanced in Photoshop.
©2012 Mary Rush Gravelle

Doing

I learned this idea through shooting photography over this past week. One of my new friends is a flamenco dancer and teacher. She wanted to have a photograph of her students to post on a website for the weekend event, Tucson Meet Yourself. Since I enjoy photography, I offered to help her out.

The Feet of Flamenco,
Photograph, 4000 x 3000 pixels,
180 ppi. Enhanced in Photoshop.
©2012 Mary Rush Gravelle
Much to my amazement, I truly enjoyed this experience. I learned more about flamenco, the dancers, the passion, the colors, and the lessons that it teaches. I observed the dancers through my lens. I took the photographs. I learned to see the subtleties, the joys, the strength, and confidence that the dance brings about in these beautiful women. I also experienced their camaraderie by observing and photographing them helping each other secure their shawls. They truly care about each other.

I then brought the photos into Photoshop to tweak and refine the images. This part of the process brought the lessons of observation and seeing deeper into my awareness.  I began to understand my subject better.

Through art making of the photographic images, I know the subject of flamenco dancing better than I did before embarking upon this project.



The Dance of Flamenco,
Photograph, 4000 x 3000 pixels,
180 ppi. Enhanced in Photoshop.
©2012 Mary Rush Gravelle

Flamenco Dancer and Teacher, Barbara Schuessler

Today is her birthday. Happy Birthday, Barbara, You are a beautiful and inspiring spirit. Thank you for affording me the opportunity to learn more about flamenco through my art process of photography. I am truly blessed to be a part of your process.

What about You?

This level of understanding through observation and seeing is not limited to drawing. It can be extended into any medium of choice.

What subject do you want to learn more about? What media do you think would help you in understanding this subject in a deeper way? Is it important to understand the subject? Or can you create art without observing, seeing, and understanding? I would love to hear your thoughts.


Use this link to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment