Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Artist Interview--Positive Influence


This is a really good article about an artist who creates art to inspire others.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2694-Austin-Art--Museum-Examiner~y2009m2d14-Artist-Interview-Holli-Bonacquisti

Just in case, the link does not work, here it is:
Artist Interview: Holli Bonacquisti

February 14, 11:53 AM
by Gabrielle Faust, Austin Art & Museum Examiner


What was the moment in your life that caused you to follow your passion of becoming an artist?

I always knew I was an artist. For me, it was never a choice, it is who I am. It is why I am here.

Do you have an academic background in your chosen media or are you self-taught?


I was fortunate enough to be brought up in an artistic family. Both of my grandparents were artists and I learned through observing them create. As I grew older, I was accepted in an advanced art program in my high school and later studied architecture in college taking numerous drawing and painting classes.

What is your inspiration for your work?

The moment one of the pieces of artwork touched someone to the point of tears from the strong emotion of happiness when viewing the art.

How has your work evolved over the years?


I first started out painting using a very loose free style to express my inner torn emotions growing up. As time progressed, I started noticing inner connections of beauty in the world that exists. My first concentration deals with the interconnection of the beauty of women and guitars. Just as the music comes from the inside of the instrument, so does the beauty come from the inside of oneself. My artwork today, express quite the same path using representation of people, trees, and butterflies all coming together to form the overall consciousness of our society.

Does your work have a particular message? If so, how have you seen the public interpret your work?

Artists always have their own intentions of a piece of work, and the best part is when I sit back and let people tell me how they relate or see themselves in my work. One of my favorite art quotes comes from the book The picture of Dorian Grey when Oscar Wilde describes the goal of art, “The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art’s aim.” When I create a piece of work, I put my entire soul into each piece. My particular focus exists as an expression of the beauty found in all life which helps all life grow and prosper.

What has been your experience working with galleries and exhibit spaces?


My favorite aspect about any art venue is that art is given the opportunity to be loved and appreciated.

What is your favorite aspect of being an artist?


The ability to affect life in a positive way.

What is your professional goal? Where would you like to see your work represented in the future?


I am living as an artist and will continue throughout my life. My goal is to be able to continue to have a positive impact on the world and bring happiness to those that experience the art.

Do you have a favorite piece in your portfolio/studio? What is it about this piece that makes it special and how does it represent you as an artist?

My lastest art piece is always my favorite because of the reflection created of life in the most recent present moment.

Do you have any advice to upcoming and emerging artists?

When I first began my art career path, I had a hard time getting to the next level of showing my work. Art is like any other career, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. I had this preconceived idea that someone was just going to discover my art and the rest would be history. After a long journey, I finally discovered that it takes a lot of hardwork and do not be afraid to hang your work in restaurants, booths, and shops. All exposure is good exposure. The purpose is for others to be able to experience the art… so it has to be out there in the world for all to see!!!!

Where can people learn more about your work?


My artwork is on display at www.illoh.com. Also visit often for the lastest art events and shows!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment