Sunday, January 13, 2008

Deming, New Mexico Arts Scene

Yesterday I drove to Deming which is a 45-minute ride east on 180 from Silver City. I went to the art opening at the Arts Council. I will be doing a show there in 2009 so wanted to check out the space. The quilt artist who was exhibiting came from Elephant Butte to do the show. I chatted with a few of the board members. Also, in attendance were a couple of women artists from Las Cruces. I saw them again when I went to the gallery two doors down from the Arts Council at the Gold Street Gallery. Don Ross, the owner, lives and works in the 10,000 square foot space. I like most of the art in the gallery, including Don's work. I showed him my postcard and business card. He liked what he saw and invited me to bring a few paintings in when I get a chance. I'll bring them by next Saturday. He says that the gallery is doing quite well because of their location right off highway 10 and next to a coffee shop. We'll see.... I liked Don's non-conventional attitude and business sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment